Young researchers are invited to apply for the 40th Young Scholar Award. This award has been established in order to encourage young scholars in the fields of English literature, American literature, English language and English education. The recipient for the award will receive 100,000 yen, and 50,000 will be given to papers of special merit.
ELSJ Awards Young Scholar Awardees
Young Scholar Awardees
1. Applicants should meet either of the requirements listed below:
To be under the age of 37 as of 30 April, 2017.
To have obtained their MA degree not earlier than 5 years prior to application.
2. Applications will be accepted only from current Members of the Society. The annual membership fee should have been paid prior to the time of submission.
3. Papers submitted for review cannot have been published, have been accepted for publication or be under review elsewhere, though papers that have been presented orally can be submitted provided that that fact is made clear. The deadline for submission is April 30.
4. When submitting a paper, each of the items in  through  below should be submitted electronically as WORD files (.doc)(.docx) or in Rich Text Format
 Paper (Do not include any information that can lead to the identification of the author, i.e. the author's name, acknowledgments or reference to any oral presentation the author may have given prior to writing the paper, anywhere in the file.) Papers can be written in English or in Japanese. Articles written in Japanese should not exceed 15 pages, with 40 letters per line and 30 lines per page, and those written in English should be less than 7,000 words. These specifications of maximum length include the main text and any footnotes, but not bibliography, tree diagrams, tables, graphs, numerical formulae and figures. For authors whose first language is not English, it is highly recommended that they have the paper checked by a reliable person whose first language is English prior to submission.
 English Synopsis (Do not include the author’s name, acknowledgments or reference to any oral presentation the author may have given prior to writing the paper, anywhere in the file.) Synopses must be 600 words or fewer in length. For authors whose first language is not English, it is highly recommended that they have the synopsis checked by a reliable person whose first language is English prior to submission.
 Cover Letter
This should include the title of the paper, author's name, date of birth, affiliated institution, date of acquisition of MA degree (if applicable),contact address, phone number, fax number, e-mail address, acknowledgments (if any) and reference to any oral presentation the author may have given prior to writing the paper.
5. Notes on Style
 Place all notes at the end of the paper.
 For other points concerning style, follow a standard style manual such as The MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers.
6. If submitting by electronic mail, send the paper, synopsis and cover letter to email@example.com, with “Paper for Submission” in the Subject line. Each filename must be brief and must consist of letters of the alphabet and/or numbers. After receiving the submission, the Secretary of the Society will send an acknowledgement of receipt by electronic mail. If such an acknowledgment is not received within 3 days, there is a possibility that the paper was not received, so please re-send it. Failure to do so could result in the paper not being considered for review.
7. If submitting by regular mail, save the paper, synopsis and cover letter as a Word file (.doc)(.docx) or as a Rich Text Format file (.rtf) on a CD-R or other storage medium, and send to the Secretary of the Society, Kenkyusha Eigo Centre Bldg., 1-2 Kagurazaka, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162-0825, Japan. Please write “Paper Enclosed” on the envelope.
8. The award winner(s) will be selected by the Editorial Board, and the papers of the winner(s) and runner-up(s) will be published, with comments, in Studies in English Literature.
9. In principle, authors will be asked to check the proofs twice and will be responsible for all corrections.
10. Contributors will receive 20 off-prints free of charge.
11. The English Literary Society of Japan reserves the right to make published papers available in electronic form.
The English Literary Society of Japan holds exclusive rights to digital reprint and dissemination of papers and other journal texts for one year after publication. Thereafter authors may reprint their texts in electronic form with the permission of The English Literary Society of Japan.
12. If there is evidence of misquoting or other such academic misconduct in an article already published in this journal, The English Literary Society of Japan will notify readers of that fact and retract the article.